It is a treat when you discover something new and truly unexpected. Especially when you realize you have not been using sous vide to it’s fullest potential. I was not aware you could use sous vide for making all sorts of confit. With his love for artisanal cooking his recipe is created and shared by Joris: an onion sous vide. He is making a whole range of vegetable confits.
Sous Vide Onion Confit Ingredients:
- 1kg of onions, cut into 2.5 cm slices
- 6 garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh Thyme
- 480 ml of Olive Oil
- 240 ml of vegetable oil
- Combine onions and garlic in a sous-vide bag (or vacuum bag), season with salt & pepper and let them sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the salt
- Cover the onions with the oil, seal the sous vide bag
- Place in sous vide machine at 80°C for 6 hours
- Strain, reserving the oil for another use.
- Refrigerate the onions in a jar until ready to use.
- This should keep at least for 3 months.